Sunday, December 8, 1996

Am a filipina and my fiance is a US military, we're going to get married in italy where he's at now.?

what kind of visa do i have to apply to get italian visa the soonest?

is it true that there's no such fiancee visa for italian visa application?

Answer on Am a filipina and my fiance is a US military,we're going to get married in italy where he's at now.?

I am not sure of the military rules regarding foreign wives of U.S. military personnel. It would be a good idea to for your husband to check with his commanders to see what the rules are regarding family members in Italy. My understanding however is that while you will have a right to be with your husband, that does not give you any particular rights in Italy, such as the right to work. But this should get checked out.

As for a fiance' visa -- no nothing like this really exists in Italy. When you are married, you then file for a permesso di soggiorno which then gives you the right to remain in Italy once it is issued (you can be in the country for the time it takes to get this document). What I am not sure about (as stated above) is what kind of permesso you get if you would be in Italy because your husband is an American soldier -- but I'm sure it is not the same kind that you'd get if your husband were Italian.

For foreigners to get married in Italy, there is another process to go through. Here's a short checklist for Americans (which would apply to your fiance). Contact your embassy in Italy for information for you:

The easiest way to get married in Italy is in a civil ceremony. The most important thing you are going to need is an interpreter -- if you and your fiance don't speak Italian you must have someone who can translate present for you at the wedding office and at the ceremony itself.

Here is a brief description of the documents you will need in order to marry in Italy -- if you need more detailed information and a translator and witnesses, please contact me.

--Atto notorio: done at an Italian consulate in U.S. prior to your departure (with two witnesses) or at a courthouse in Italy
--Nulla aosta: done at U.S. consulate in district where you are marrying, this document needs to get a apostille attached at an Italian lower court
--You will need your birth certificates, passports and divorce decrees (if applicable) for an appointment at the wedding office in the city where you will married.
--After the wedding, you'll need an apostille attached to the marriage certificate and have it translated in order to register your marriage in the U.S. when you return.

Let me know if you need help with the wedding. I've helped a lot of couples get married in Italy.